At HIMSS, we are a catalyst for change in the health and wellness ecosystem. As one of the largest and most experienced global healthcare associations, it is our responsibility to lead this revolution. Our mission is to reform the global health ecosystem through the power of information and technology. Our staff, nearly 300 world-wide, are vital to achieving that mission. We are looking for team members who are curious to ask “What if…?” and have the tenacity to fight for the change we believe in. Join HIMSS to be part of the transformation of health and wellness.
Your Challenge: The purpose of this position is to manage financial compliance, which includes corporate accounting, risk, and tax. The role will require a hands-on leader that will be responsible for these key accounting functions and manage a team of three accountants. The leader will partner with the Finance Director and Controller to ensure timely and accurate financial statements on a monthly and annual basis. Safeguard the assets of HIMSS by providing and/or adhering to immediate and long-term internal controls.
The things that you will tackle:
- Manage the company's corporate accounting, tax, and risk management activities in accordance with GAAP and company policy.
- Direct oversight of accountants, ensuring all deadlines are met and timely balance sheet reconciliations are complete and reviewed.
- Manage month-end close process to ensure delivery of timely and accurate monthly financial statements for HIMSS and related entities, and review of variances. Ensures appropriate accounting for various activities and accounts.
- Monitor and maintain adherence to internal controls, while driving continuous process and documentation improvements.
- Maintain the organizational Business Operations Calendar and orchestrate resources to ensure completion of the filing, renewals, and reporting requirements
- Safeguard, manage and maintain the company’s Chart of Accounts
- Maintain the relationship with outside tax advisors and support timely filing of various Federal tax returns (including 990, 990-T, 1120, 1165, and related state returns).
- Evaluates the tax implications of company activities and develops strategies to minimize the tax obligations. Advises management on future changes to tax regulations and possible impact to the organization.
- Support the annual audit and tax return for HIMSS related entities. Coordinate preparation and review of designated audit work papers. Pro-actively develop information to assist in the audit process.
- Direct timely and accurate submission of Enterprise-wide risk (insurance) policies. Manage the relationship with outside brokers. Respond to all COI requests.
- Oversight of:
- State sales/use tax filings
- Audit work papers as assigned
- US Census filings
- Business License Renewals
- Certificate of Good Standing monitoring
- Annual FBAR Filings
- Mentor and develop employees through orientation, training, goal setting and communication, while ensuring team engagement and morale. Provide ongoing performance feedback and evaluate each team members’ annual contribution rating.
- Support the development, implementation, and maintenance of systems, procedures and policies regarding general ledger activities and reporting. Ensure that sound internal controls are in place, promoting best practices and compliance.
- Support management of use of technology in this area including the coordination and implementation of new technology tools and functionality. Train staff in own and other departments in the use of software related to general ledger and reporting. Support in creation of SOPs.